Procrastination Get Thee Behind Me




As I sit here at this computer, I am thinking about all of the goals that I have left to accomplish, yet have not done so. For the last six months or so, I’ve written on my “to do” list all of the things that I want to achieve before the end of this year.  Am I making progress? Yes, I have made some progress, but truthfully, I should be a lot closer to being able to cross some of these goals off of my “to do” list. But I am being honest with myself as well as transparent to admit that I have once again allowed procrastination to prevent me from accomplishing some of them. I am relieved and can breathe a little easier simply by openly admitting my struggles with procrastination!

Over the years, at times I have allowed procrastination to stall my progress, and every time this happens, I end up in a rut, and before I know it, working on my goals is no longer a priority. I am thankful for all of my blessings and what I have been able to accomplish in my lifetime thus far, but sometimes it has not been without an overwhelming amount of stress. For instance, procrastinating on completing homework and then stressing myself out trying to meet the deadlines. Or rushing out the door and jumping in my car to make a mad dash because I am running late for church, work, or other places.

You know, for a procrastinator like myself—or shall I say, recovering procrastinator, since my goal is to stop procrastinating—social media has caused me to drag my feet even more, and I then have the audacity to get mad at myself when days, weeks, and even months go by with some of the same things on my “to do” list not being completed. I don’t even want to think about all of the times I have used social media as a means to procrastinate.

The bottom line is that it’s time for me to stop trippin’, to pull up my “big girl” panties and stop procrastinating, and, as the young folks say, “turn up” by getting focused on completing my goals. The more I procrastinate, my stress level increases and I am too old to continue riding this roller coaster. Truthfully, if I didn’t procrastinate so much, I could break down my goals into manageable tasks rather than trying to do everything in one fell swoop, which then wears me out.

If you struggle with procrastination, you will surely understand my challenge. Today, I pledge to do some re-prioritizing and get rid of procrastination because, after all, it’s for my sanity’s sake. When procrastination wants to creep onto the scene, I am going to say the words, “Procrastination get thee behind me” and truly mean it…


© Carla J. Curtis, August 2014



No comments:

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...