REMEMBERING AND HONORING ERSKINE EUGENE ROUTE' JR.


I’ve delayed writing this post because it is surreal to me that Erskine Eugene Route' Jr. is no longer with us. Erskine departed this life on August 1, 2019 at the young age of fifty. Erskine and my brother, Larry, had been friends as long as I can remember - so when I got the news of his passing it was deeply painful and felt like I had lost a brother from another mother.

Although I have many fond memories of Erskine from over the years, one of my favorite occurred almost twenty years ago when I obtained my first master’s degree. You see, Erskine attended my graduation along with my family. They all came up the night before from Springfield, IL and stayed at my house in Hanover Park, IL. Unbeknownst to me, Erskine and I had something in common - we both snored loudly. After waking up, my family complained about how Erskine and I snored so loud it was ridiculous, they couldn’t get any sleep, and that it didn’t make any sense how loud we both snored. Erskine and I brushed off the negative comments about our snoring — after all he and I slept well — and we all laughed ourselves silly. I am smiling thinking about this memory.

After the graduation, I remember talking about some of my other educational goals and dreams with Erskine. True to his character, Erskine said, “Why not? You should go for it.” He also shared some other encouraging words. Truthfully, the fact that he accompanied my family to my graduation spoke volumes to me and will forever be etched in my heart.

As I write and reflect on Erskine’s life, tears are falling down my face. I’m saddened he’s no longer with us, but thankful God allowed our paths to cross on this journey called life.  In closing, the following words express what Erskine’s life meant to me:

E-encouraging (always provided words of encouragement to others)
R-relationship-oriented (loved being around family and friends)
S-soft spoken (didn’t need to be loud to get his point across)
K-kind (treated everyone with kindness)
I-intelligent 
(spoke intelligently about any subject)
N-no nonsense (didn’t take any mess and always stood his ground)
E-easy going (got along with everybody and didn’t let folks stress him out)

Finally, my thoughts and prayers are with Erskine’s father and mother, brother, son, daughters, and grandson, family, friends, and colleagues at the Illinois Comptroller’s Office.


Erskine you are truly missed. RIP!

© Carla J. Curtis, August 2019

No comments:

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...