The Stress of being a Perfectionist


I recently wrote on the topic of procrastination and today I’m going to address the other word beginning with the word “P” – Perfectionist -- that has also been a thorn in my side. Just like procrastination, at times over the years being a perfectionist has literally worn me out. In fact, there have been many days being a perfectionist has left me almost emotionally paralyzed and unable to complete anything.

At my previous employers, I’ve been told on numerous occasions that it’s time to let a letter, memo and/or report go because no matter how many times I edit them, the documents may still end up having errors. As a writer, Lord knows I’ve heard the same thing and have given myself numerous headaches editing my books, articles, etc. that I’ve almost made myself regurgitate or have a panic attack from the stress of it all.

Although I’m not as bad as I used to be – I’m a recovering perfectionist -- from time-to-time I still struggle with being a perfectionist, but I no longer allow myself to get as stressed about it. I’ll admit there have been times when I’ve completed school papers, work documents and writing projects and have had to engage in some serious prayer and self-talk and tell myself I have done my best and now it’s time to submit them to the appropriate individuals and move on. At times, this can be difficult, but it’s not as hard as it used to be and for that I am forever grateful. When I do start feeling stressed, I try to do at least one or more of the following:
  • Take a break
  • Write in my journal
  •  Listen to some music
  •  Watch a comedy
Since I’ve admitted that I’m a recovering perfectionist, I’ve forced myself not to re-read this post a hundred times before posting it. Therefore, I am asking you in advance to forgive me for any spelling errors.

Let me know your comments and please feel free to share this article with others.

Peace.

Carla



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm SUCH a perfectionist. Seriously. Just today, I was in my prayer journal and I felt God tell me that I needed to let myself be happy. I feel so much guilt in my life when I don't do everyhting 100% right!

I was wondering if I could offer a suggestion - I post a lot content on Pinterest and I think many people would pin you stuff more if you make 'pinnable' images :)

Unknown said...

LOL okay I'm just blind!

Carla J. Curtis said...

Hello! First, let me apologize that I am just now seeing your comments. This is so unlike me to respond to comments so late -- especially many months later. This truly was an oversight on my part. Thanks SO much for stopping by my blog and leaving your comments and suggestions. I really and truly appreciate it. Also, I think that most people are perfectionist so don't beat yourself up. Truthfully, it is hard not to be a perfectionist at times? PLEASE come back to visit my blog anytime. Again, forgive me please!

Carla J. Curtis said...

Thanks again for stopping by my blog!

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...