Wow, how time flies...

While looking through some files on my desktop, I ran across some articles that I wrote years ago for Blogging in Black. This blog is no longer active and hasn't been for a several years. I decided to open up a few blog posts to read them. Below is one of those posts:


A Paradigm Shift From Just Reading Urban Fiction


Do you read urban fiction? This question has been posed to me on many occasions since the explosion of this genre. “Yes, I have read and even enjoyed reading some urban fiction books,” I always answer.  The first urban fiction book that I read was, “The Coldest Winter Ever” by the talented author, Sistah Souljah, and have read others since then. According to David Wright, “One of the hottest literary phenomena of recent years has been the explosion of what has been variously termed hip-hop, street, or urban fiction. Especially popular with younger African Americans, books in this genre are reaching an increasingly broad readership through ties to hip-hop music and culture” (Streetwise Urban Fiction, Libraryjournal.com, July 15, 2006).  All in all, I don’t see anything wrong with reading books in this genre, especially since it has caused some young, middle aged and even older African Americans to read that normally wouldn't think about picking up a book. 

Nevertheless, I believe that African Americans that read only urban fiction should be encouraged to make a paradigm shift from just reading this genre by choosing to read other fiction genres as well as non fiction books. In doing so, readers can broaden their horizons, learn about other people and cultures and stimulate their intellect. Truthfully, I believe that I’ve gained a better snapshot of the world by making it a priority to read books in all genres.

For instance, a few months back I read, "Letters to a Young Brother:  MANifest Your Destiny" by Hill Harper. A much timely, thought-provoking and encouraging book that should grace the shelves of every African American home.  I recently read “a love story,” by Denene Millner and Nick Chiles, an entertaining and great book.  I’m now reading “It’s Your Time:  Reclaim Your Territory for the Kingdom” by Bishop Eddie Long, a powerful book causing me to re-examine my spiritual walk with God.  Once completed, I’ll go back to reading, “The Million Dollar Divorce,” by RM Johnson, an entertaining and thought-provoking book thus far, and then move on to “Freakonomics:  A Rogue Economist Explores The Hidden Side of Everything” by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. While in college, I cringed every time that I had to attend my Economics classes, so reading this book is going to undoubtedly force me to tackle a subject that’s always been difficult for me.

Although the explosion of urban fiction has caused some controversy, on the positive side, this is a good thing since more African Americans seem to be reading more. All the same, I feel that it would be beneficial for those that only read this genre to read books in other genres as well.  Because after all, there is more to life within the urban communities than drugs, brothers and sistahs serving time in the joint, fast money and mad drama.  Wouldn’t you agree?


© Carla J. Curtis. January 2006.

No comments:

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...