Thankful For Each "God Moment"


I thank God that I can be real, transparent, and that I am approachable. One thing I have learned over the years is that there are some Christians whom I have been around who always want you to believe that their lives are a bed of roses. When you share something “deep” that you may be going through, they turn up their noses as if they can’t believe that as a Christian you are experiencing whatever it is that you are. And, then they have the nerve to respond with a statement that implies that you are having these struggles because you are not praying, fasting, or reading the Word enough. Really?  

I am not saying that you should share all of your business. That would not be wise, as I don’t share all of my business. However, for those Christians who are always blessed and highly favored and are never beset with problems, it would be refreshing if they stopped lying to themselves and others and admit that they, too, have been in the valley, have struggled or felt discouraged or  both, at some  time in their lives. It would be useful if they stopped perpetrating so that they can help somebody else while freeing themselves in the process. Being a Christian doesn’t mean that you are not human. Acknowledging that you are struggling doesn’t make you a nonbeliever who lacks faith. It just makes you human.

When it comes to being approachable, I’ll be honest and admit that there have been times when I was uncomfortable with strangers pouring their hearts out to me by sharing painful things that either they or someone close to them were experiencing at the time. As I have matured, both as a woman and in Christ, I am now thankful when these moments occur and no longer question God when they do. I just call each experience a “God Moment”-- moments that have always stayed with me. I often wonder what happened to the people that I encounter during such moments.

For example, at a book signing years ago, a woman walked up to my table perusing my books. After a few minutes, she expressed a desire to buy my book Grip the Rope: Prayers for Single Mothers but she did not have the money to do so, yet she remained at my table desiring to engage me in conversation. Within a few minutes she was pouring her heart out and shared that one of her daughters had been raped. In the meantime, others were coming to my table inquiring about my books. I knew this was a “God Moment,” so I did not interrupt the woman. I listened and shared some words of encouragement and was led to give her a book for free. She thanked me and walked away. I could tell that she felt less burdened after our conversation.

Another “God Moment” occurred at an event where I was the guest speaker and I was selling books after the event was over. A lady approached my table. We chit chatted for a few minutes, and then she left. The next thing I knew she returned, saying, “I don’t know why I am talking to you.” I figured it was another “God Moment,” so I listened and offered her words of encouragement. She shared that her son had been incarcerated for twenty years, and I could tell that she had been in a lot of emotional pain because of it. She bought a copy of my book to read for herself.

A few days later, she contacted me via email and asked if I could send her son a copy of the book. She said that he did not have any kids, but that she felt my book would encourage him. I sent him a copy. About a week later, I received a letter at my post office box from the woman’s son. He thanked me for sending him the book and acknowledged that it had encouraged him. He also shared some things that he had gone through in prison, how he felt about being incarcerated, as well as the fact that he had an additional seven years to serve on his sentence. While I have never heard from him again, I have heard from his mother a few times via email.

The next “God Moment” that stuck with me occurred when my friend's former husband called and left me a message at work to call him. It was odd, so I immediately asked if she knew what her husband wanted to speak with me about. She had no clue. I returned his call. He shared that he had a childhood friend serving a 25-year prison sentence for killing her own sister out of a jealous rage and he felt that my book could encourage her, even though she was not a single mother. He asked me if I would send her a copy. I returned to my friend’s desk and told her about the conversation, and she filled me in about the woman and the tragedy that had occurred. This brutal murder had torn the family apart. I later got the address and sent the book to her.

Earlier this year, another “God Moment” occurred while I was attending a training session. A lady sat next to me, and we introduced ourselves. During our conversations over the next few days, she shared that she was going through a bad divorce and recently found out that her husband had been sexually molesting their daughter, who was a teenager. It was a very painful time in her life. It is one thing to be going through a divorce, but another to find out that your husband had been molesting your child. I was led to send this woman a quick email to say “hello” and to ask how she has been doing.

The bottom line is that we never know what others are going through, and, as a Christians, people from all walks of life should feel comfortable approaching us for words of encouragement, inspiration, and hope. While we may not always have the right words to say or scriptures to quote, we can listen without judging and demonstrate that we genuinely care about their well-being. We can pray for them, or lead them to Christ, or both. In addition, we can invite them to church or direct them to someone who can assist them further. After all, God is not always going to allow us to minister to people whom we are most comfortable with because He wants us to grow, and it is in these uncomfortable situations that our growth most often occurs.

Overall, I’m thankful for each “God Moment” and all of the others that I have encountered over the years because, in each situation, God has used me as one of His vessels to encourage, inspire, and give hope to others. That is indeed a blessing!

As always, feel free to leave your comments and to share this post with others if you’d like. You can leave your comments here or on my Facebook page.

© Carla J. Curtis, August 2014




No comments:

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...