Great Teachers Make a World of Difference

 
Today was a great day. Why?  I had lunch with my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Betty White, at Boyd’s New Generation Restaurant in my hometown of Springfield, Illinois. This place has some great soul food. We made lunch plans after seeing each other at both my mom and aunt’s funerals – which were only a month apart.

Mrs. White was an excellent teacher and one that I will always remember. She taught grade school for thirty-four years at Iles Elementary School and has been retired for fifteen years. Over the years, I have run into her on occasions and when this happens we always end up having a great conversation. Even though she was my teacher a long time ago, approximately forty years, I have never forgotten her and I truly thank God for a teacher like her.

As a student, I knew Mrs. White sincerely wanted me and the other students to receive a quality education and that she genuinely cared about our well-being. She stressed the importance of education and always inspired her students to excel. In addition, she was stern and didn’t take any mess from students.
We had a great conversation during lunch and although Mrs. White is retired, she still lights up when talking about her time as a teacher. Mrs. White is just as passionate today as she was back then when it comes to educating and inspiring others. And, as a grown woman, it was great for me to gain some additional insight and wisdom from her.

Great teachers make a world of difference in the lives of students. I want to thank Mrs. White for being one of those teachers for me…and for that I am forever grateful!


© Carla J. Curtis, September 2015

No comments:

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...