Thinking About Some Life Lessons

 Photo by Johnny Cohen on Unsplash


I am sitting here in deep thought thinking about some life lessons I’ve learned over the years. I learned a long time ago about the importance of seeking wise counsel when in the process of having to make some serious life decisions. In many cases when we are facing these types of decisions we have to make them objectively and not rely on our emotions so that we don’t end of having to endure bad consequences and experience major heartbreak. The problem is that we sometimes don’t want to hear the truth about some of our situations including some of the people we are associating with and even dating that are clearly not good for us and don’t have our best interests at heart, so instead of facing the truth, we are quick to say that folks are hatin’ or jealous when that is far from the truth. We will even choose to talk to those people that don’t even know what they want in life and are themselves in situations that are chaotic and not good for them and as we know misery sure nuff loves company.

The reality is that people that truly love us and want what is best for us will not sugar coat the truth because at the end of the day they want to prevent us from having to experience negative consequences. And, when you have to eventually deal with the negative consequences of making bad decisions – because we all do at one time or another -- these are the very same people we will be calling and crying to help us get through these tough times in our lives when it could have all been avoided if we listened to wise counsel in the first place. Those folks that told us what we wanted to hear won’t be around and will still be dealing with their same foolishness and misery.

Another life lesson I learned years ago from someone is that it’s important to know that we can learn from the mistakes of others without having to always experience them ourselves. I have never forgotten these words of wisdom. I am thankful that some things I didn’t have to experience firsthand because I saw the red flags blaring in my face and therefore put my pride aside and sought wise counsel from folks that would keep it real no matter if I wanted to hear it or not. Trust me I’m forever grateful that I did because I’ve had the opportunity to avoid some serious consequences in the process…

No comments:

Happy Anniversary to Me: Celebrating Twenty Years in the Literary World

  Single mothers struggle with feeling overwhelmed at times with the responsibilities that they must juggle alone. A Single Woman's Pare...